Happy Valentines weekend, everyone! Valentines is Monday, so in honor of the upcoming holiday of love, I wanted to share my recipe for chocolate dipped sugar cookie hearts. They’re easy to make, easy on the eye and delicious. Don’t feel like going to the trouble of making your own dough or don’t have the time? Here’s a tip…just buy pre-made dough and don’t feel bad about taking a shortcut. If you make them with love, they will still be just as delicious.
Chocolate Dipped Sugar Cookies
For the Dough:
1 cup Butter
1 cup Sugar
2 tsp Baking Powder
3 cup All Purpose Flour
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/2 tsp Almond Extract
For the Topping:
6 oz Dark Chocolate
6 oz White Chocolate
1/2 cup Crushed Almonds
1/2 cup Crushed Peppermint Sticks
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, mix the butter and sugar until smooth, then beat in the eggs, vanilla and almond extracts.
- In another bowl, mix the baking powder and flour, then mix in the other bowl of ingredients.
- Next, using a rolling pin, evenly roll out the cookie dough on a flat surface covered in flower, so the dough doesn’t stick.
- Use a heart cookie cutter to cut your cookie shapes out and transfer the hearts to a nonstick cookie sheet. Cook for 10-12 minutes, then pull out of the oven and let cool.
- Once your cookies are cool, place you dark chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and heat for 30 seconds at a time, stirring between heating time, until the chocolate is melted. Then, dip the left side of half the hearts in the dark chocolate and sprinkle with crushed almonds and place on parchment or wax paper to cool.
- Next, melt your white chocolate (using the same method you used to melt the dark chocolate), then dip the left side of the remaining cookies in the chocolate, covering them with crushed peppermint as you go and placing them on parchment or wax paper to cool.
- Finally, eat, enjoy, and don’t forget to spread the cookie love with your friends and family!